Welcome to Bryan and College Station Texas!

Builder Spotlight- New Vision Custom Homes
August 14, 2008
Texas Parks and Wildlife Office has Moved
August 16, 2008

Welcome to Bryan and College Station Texas!

Texas FlagNow that you are in Texas, what do you need to do now? You’ll learn a lot about Bryan, College Station and Texas A&M University living with Texans and while you are learning here are a few things you’ll need to know right away.

Now that you are living in Texas you’ll need to get your vehicle (yes, car, truck or motorcycle) registered within 30 days. But, before you can register your vehicle it must pass the state inspection. But, how?

  • Take your vehicle to a state inspection station. Need a list of where to go?
  • Take your driver’s license.
  • Take your proof of insurance. You’ll need at least the minimum coverage Texas requires – $20,000 bodily injury or deal to one person; $40,000 bodily injury or deal to two or more persons; and $15,000 injury or destruction to other property.

Then, off to the County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office with your verification from the inspection station. Here you’ll get your Texas vehicle registration sticker and license plates. You will need proof of ownership – registration or title from your home state, and again, proof of insurance showing minimum coverage.

Ready to apply for your driver’s license?
Off to the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). Need to know where to go?

  • Be sure to take your picture ID, Social Security card, proof of liability insurance (again!) and proof of Texas vehicle registration.
  • Know you will have to pass an eye test, provide a thumbprint and give up your out of state license too.

Its also time to register to vote! You can register to vote at the driver’s license office or pickup a voter’s registration application at the county voter registrar’s office, library, post office or the secretary of state’s website. Be sure to register at least 30 days before the election you want to vote in.

If you bought property – don’t forget to file your homestead exemption and remember you DO NOT need to hire anyone to do this for you. There are no fees to file a property tax homestead exemption. Complete the form and send it to your appraisal district.

Need more information? Let me know – We’ll be glad to help and….

Welcome to Texas!

Susan Hilton

Susan Hilton – Realtor & Sales Trainer for Century 21 Beal

Want to Search the Bryan/College Station MLS? CLICK HERE!!!

View Susan Hilton's LinkedIn profileView Susan Hilton’s profile


Comments are closed.