How You Can Protest Property Taxes in Brazos County

Possible Remedies on Brazos County Property Taxes
May 27, 2011
Living in Texas Means You Need Information!
June 6, 2011

How You Can Protest Property Taxes in Brazos County

Taxpayer's propertyTax assessors in Brazos County are the ones that determine your property taxes by appraising the market value of your property in Bryan and College Station. Should there be any doubt, talk to your appraisal district staff with regard to your property’s value and items which don’t understand. Contention can be made if you think the appraised value placed on your property is too high.

Here are a few suggestions that can be of great help in achieving a successful appeal.

(1) Be punctual and prepared for the hearing.

Before attending your scheduled hearing, check the property information on your tax bill, specifically, the address, lot size, and number of rooms. Take notice of the appraised value of the property. Have with you every information that you might use in your protest.

(2) Adhere to the facts and avoid emotional pleas.

The ARB doesn’t have a control  over the operations  or budget of the appraisal district, its tax rates, or local politics, so it is not advisable to address such topics during  the presentation for it will just waste your time and will not likely help your case.

(3) Study the hearing procedure of ARB.

As soon as you receive the hearing procedures of ARB, take time to  familiarize yourself with the procedures and be prepared to follow them.

(4) Present your  information in a very simple and well-organized manner.

You together with the appraisal district staff  will be exchanging evidence at the hearing. Photographs as well as other documents could be of great help. It is best to take an appropriate number of copies to ensure that each ARB member and  the appraisal district representative  receive one.

Prepare all  the collected documentation. Organize it in a manner that allows you to present the most important details first. The time given to you to present your case likely will likely be limited.

As soon as the ARB is done with your protest,  a written order will be delivered to you by certified mail. Now, in case you are not satisfied with the ARB’s findings, you have the right to appeal the decision. You may appeal to the state district court in the county in which your property  is located, depending on the facts and type of property, and the appeal must be filed no later than 60 days after receiving the final ARB order.

Susan Hilton

Susan Hilton College Station Real Estate

Comments are closed.