When it comes to home systems and appliances, there are no lifetime guarantees even in Aggieland. College Station Real estate is a pretty safe bet but there are no guarantees or lifetime guarantees in that either.
The average life expectancy of critical home appliances such as heating and A/C units is 13 years. The average replacement cost for a home system or appliance is $1,388.
To ensure that your heating/cooling systems, plumbing, electrical, and various kitchen appliances are running safely and efficiently, it is important to perform routine maintenance on them. Regular check-ups on appliance systems in and around your home will also help to maximize their life span and minimize number of repairs, saving you money!
So what exactly should you be doing and how often in order to keep your various home appliances running in tip-top condition?? Below are some pointers, courtesy of American Home Shield® and Century 21®Home Protection Plan
Air Conditioning System:
- Check filters once a month and clean or replace them as needed.
- Be sure that the condensing unit is free of debris and keep nearby plants and shrubs trimmed back. This will ensure proper air flow.
- Have an annual system maintenance service done by a professional about a month before the cooling season begins. (Although, here in Texas, that may only give you a window of about a month or so!
- Check filters once a month.
- Smell the area around the furnace for gas odors.
- Inspect the exhaust vent for rust or other damage.
- Have an annual system maintenance service done by a professional about a month before the heating season begins.
- To prevent overloading circuits, make sure that there are not too many appliances plugged into any one outlet.
- Regularly use self-test button on outlets that have them.
- Maintain adequate water softener if needed.
- Change out water and icemaker filters according to guidelines given by the manufacturer.
- Minimize use of your garbage disposal if you have a septic system.
Questions? CALL ME!
Susan Hilton – Realtor & Sales Trainer for Century 21 Beal
Want to Search the Bryan/College Station Real Estate MLS? CLICK HERE!!!
View Susan Hilton’s profile