Buying Property in the County – Brazos, Robertson and Beyond

Negative Edge Pools…. Have They Vanished?
May 20, 2008
Where Am I? Who Am I? College Station & Bryan, Texas Real Estate Winners
May 20, 2008

Buying Property in the County – Brazos, Robertson and Beyond

So you’ve decided to buy some land out in the county and build your dream home. Ok, now what do you do? Well, you need to contact the Brazos County Health Department to see what is neeeded to install a septic system. Be sure to ask a Sanitarian about a proposal that is on the table about there being a minimum lot size of two (2) acres. It has not been voted on by the Commissioners Court as of yet, but it is getting serious consideration. Believe it or not, there is a house somewhere in the county that is 9,000 sq. ft. and it sits on a one (1) acre lot. Yup, you read that right. A one (1) acre lot. Now when the water from the septic system is sprayed out, where do you think it’s going to go on a lot that size? It’s going on the foundation and the walls. That nasty, dirty water is being sprayed on the house. If the builder/owner had talked to a Sanitarian, that problem could have been avoided. Septic Systems need maintenance. Do you know what it takes to maintain one? Bet not. Be sure to talk to the experts before you make a costly mistake. The Sanitarians can be reached at 361-4450. In future blogs I’ll give you more information about septic systems, maintenance, bills passed by the Texas Legislature pertaining to septic systems and more. This is really important stuff so I want you to be well informed.

Your next call should be to the Brazos County Road and Bridge Department. These people can red tag a building project and shut it down completely. Call them to find out information about flood plains. Do you know what a flood plain is? If you don’t know about flood plains, make it a priority to find out what and where they are. A house built in a flood plain will not be sold because no one will lend money on it. The Road and Bridge Department will maintain your road (if you are on a county road), place a culvert in your driveway, trim the vegetation in the right-of-way, keep you from building where the line of sight is adversely affected along your road. Did you know you can not place a mailbox in the county right-of-way? These are just a few of the things you need to know about when building along a county road. Call the Road and Bridge Department before you get started on your new home. You can reach the Road and Bridge Department at 822-2127. Future blogs will introduce you to the Road and Bridge Subdivision Regulations that govern the building of subdivisions. They are being brought to you so that you don’t make a very costly mistake.

Century 21 agents are here to help you. If we don’t know the answer, we know where to find it.


  1. Land in the country…
    septic issues…
    Sanitarians… (what a funny word)
    Wow what a lot to consider when moving to the country!
    I think I’ll stick to being a city girl.

  2. Depending on the elevation certificates a lender might loan on a home being built in the flood plain but that is where you need expert help.
    Call the realtors at Century 21. We have connections.
    My direct number is (979) 575-4663.
    The realtor for YOU!